Re: Windows 10 & Debian 9: Win 10 not updating

Tom Browder composed on 2019-01-31 16:02 (UTC-0600):

> I have a new Win 10 Pro installation (from an MS DVD) on a PC upon
> which I then installed Deb 9 as a second OS dual-bootable.  Boot
> selection works fine with either OS.

> I have an old Win 10 installation (upgraded from the original Win 7)
> on a laptop upon which I originally installed Deb 7 dual-bootable (the
> Deb 7 was in-place upgraded to Deb 8, then Deb 9).  Boot selection
> works fine with either OS.

> Both computers are 64-bit with grub2 and of four standard partitions
> and one or more extended ones. Both computers have an abundance of HD
> space on boot and main partitions for each OS.

> Problem: Neither Win 10 OS has been able to successfully update since
> about last April. I have tried all the things I have found in an
> Internet search, including making sure the Win partition is marked
> boot-able, and downloading and running the Win 10 trouble shooter--all
> to no avail.

> I should have asked here first, but at last I'm here.

> Has anyone had the same problem (no Win 10 updates) with dual-bootable Debian 9?

You seem to be describing a common problem. On MBR installations, certain Windows updates require
Windows be able to reboot it's way, without any interposition from foreign code presence on the
MBR, with a boot flag on its boot partition, and only on its boot partition. It's a problem that
long predates Win10, going back at least to Vista if not XP.

This is a minor problem for those whose multiboot installations are configured to use
Windows-compatible code on the MBR. It's a simple matter of moving the boot flag long enough for
Windows to do what it wants, and then putting it back afterwards so that any Gnu bootloader can
work normally. Since none of my many multiboot installations put anything other than
Windows-compatible code on any MBR, I have no experience from which to describe specifics of any
workaround.

https://old-en.opensuse.org/Bugs/grub#How_does_a_PC_boot_.2F_How_can_I_set_up_a_working_GRUB.3F
describes in simple terms how my multiboot systems are configured.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/