Re: dd: error reading '/dev/sr0': Input/output error

On Monday 10 December 2018 03:44:20 Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,

> I wrote:
> > > After 33 MiB of reading ?
> >
> > That much would would also invalidate the dry sliders theory
>
> There might well be mechanical or optical problems involved. As said,
> the failure patterns of drives are variform. Thus my question whether
> dd can replace dvdbackup as trailblazer.

>--
>
> Off topic:
> > > (We have a bug in the kernel since 2008 which prevents waiting for
> > > the drive to become ready after automatic tray loading.
> >
> > I've noted that too.
>
> I identified the two commits involved
> (210ba1d1724f5c4ed87a2ab1a21ca861a915f734 and
>  96bcc722c47d07b6fd05c9d0cb3ab8ea5574c5b1) and have a proposal for a
> fix. What i don't have is real iron for kernel development or contact
> to a kernel developer who would be interested in the sr driver and its
> bugs.
>
> The old timeout limit was 20 seconds. My lamest drive needs 18 seconds
> to become ready (not by spin-up delay but rather by long reading time
> when assessing the medium state). So i'd propose 30 seconds of
> patience.

I personally think thats a heck of a good idea. Someone with commit
rights should make it so.

The best cd/dvd writer we have, k3b, cannot be told to verify its written
image because it times out way too fast at re-recognizing the ejected
and reloaded disk.  This has needed fixing since years ago.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)