Re: noexec mount option not working in Debian 9 installer

chime@hubert-humphrey.com

On Thursday, 6 December 2018, 06:59:10 GMT-8, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

On Thu 06 Dec 2018 at 14:47:39 (+0530), Augustus Johnson wrote:
> Please help me with this issue.
>
> I had set the noexec mount option on /tmp while installing Debian 9
> using firmware-9.5.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso.

You need to report what you actually did, not what you think you
achieved.

> But after the installation was completed, the mount option was found
> missing.  This same behaviour is noticed when installing the OS using
> preseed.

We can only guess. The most likely is that during installation you
edited /etc/fstab. Unfortunately, that's the fstab for the system
that's running *during installation*. The system you are building
is in /target, so you would need to edit /target/etc/fstab. However,
I'm not guaranteeing when /target/etc/fstab is last modified by the
installer. (For example, modifying /target/etc/network/interfaces
can be futile as the installer modifies it at the very last step.)

> root@mountoptions:~# mount | grep /tmp
> /dev/sda5 on /tmp type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data="">

Cheers,
David.