Re: debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso missing files for install without mirror

On Mon 05 Nov 2018 at 10:51:34 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 04 Nov 2018 at 16:53:19 (+0100), Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> > > I was under the impression that "netinst" stood for "network installer",
> > > so the image only contains what's essential to bootstrap a standard
> > > system (or greater) from the network (Internet or local mirror).
> >
> > Netinst images contain everything required to install a functional
> > basic system even without a network.
>
> Sure, except for the fact that I don't know how your "functional basic
> system" is defined. But I am assuming that it's something less than
> your system (above) with "all packages with Priority: standard and
> their dependencies", which is designed to provide "a reasonably small
> but not too limited char-mode system" (Debian Policy Manual).
>
> The Installation Guide quantifies this difference as approximately
> 187MB of disk space, using *their* definition of "minimal base
> installation", which is installed by not selecting "standard system
> utilities".
>
> What it is, exactly, that you get by installing from netinst without
> any Internet connection whatsoever would, I think, require an
> experiment. I'm not in a situation to try that as (a) I'm not at home,
> (b) I only have this laptop, (c) the images on it are i386 and amd64
> single architecture ones, (d) I've no wherewithal to back it up.
> Whatever it is, it's what I was referring to as the "bootstrap"
> system (above). It seems that Brian is more familiar with its recent
> incarnations; it's some years since I played around with methods of
> minimising Internet throughput during installation.

There are two situations:

1. No network is set up: everything comes from the image.

2. The network fails during the installation: no resolution of a URI
   happens and d-i waits about for a while before continuing as in 1.

--
Brian.