Re: debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso missing files for install without mirror

On Sun 04 Nov 2018 at 16:53:19 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> Le 04/11/2018 à 16:44, David Wright a écrit :

> > > Well, if I am counting right, this is not true for the multi-arch
> > > netinst image :
> > > - 85 packages found in the main section for i386.
> > > - Only 43 packages found in the multi-arch CD image main section.
> > >
> > > Is it an exception because a netinst image is not supposed to be used
> > > without a mirror ?
> >
> > I was under the impression that "netinst" stood for "network installer",
> > so the image only contains what's essential to bootstrap a standard
> > system (or greater) from the network (Internet or local mirror).
>
> Netinst images contain everything required to install a functional basic
> system even without a network.

An interesting historical fact (at least, I hope it is interesting!) is
that prior to Debian 6.x.x the standard utilities were obtained over
the internet or from a local mirror. The impression which David Wright
gained from the name "netinst" would have been correct on lenny.

--
Brian.