Re: problem with modern desktops on Buster [RESOLVED]

I've been back in Plasma 5 for a couple of days now. I think it was a kernel update that did the trick.

On 2018-08-06 03:03 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
When I rebooted my computer (AMD64/Buster) yesterday, I couldn't get Plasma to operate. After logging with sddm, the computer locked up hard (wouldn't respond to SysRq or Ctl-Alt-Del) before the desktop appeared.

I switched to Gnome which seems to work a little better but I was still getting lockups. I tried Gnome over Xorg in case it was a Wayland problem but that also seemed to have problems. It crashed overnight and left me with some panic text on the screen and the computer was locked up. I couldn't get much beyond the initial desktop display when I restarted.

I've been using Gnome Flashback (Metacity) for about 5 hours now, including a couple periods when the screen saver / lock kicked in, and it seems OK.

I'm not even sure where to report this problem since I can't identify a specific package that is causing it. However since Gnome Flashback seems to be working, I'd guess that it is in the flashier desktop elements.