Re: Brother or Canon; not both

On Thu 09 Aug 2018 at 11:10:44 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Wed 08 Aug 2018 at 19:12:09 -0500, Allen Hoover wrote:
>
> > Ever since upgrading some customized Debian 64bit systems to Debian 8, I've
> > had trouble with the Canon UFRII printer drivers.  I've now been
> > testing this issue on a vanilla Debian 8, and Debian 9 system with the
> > same issues on both.
> >
> > I use official Brother printer drivers which are i386 only, so have
> > multi-arch installed, and the libc6-i386 package.  The Canon UFRII
> > package installs fine, but when printing with any of those drivers the
> > following error shows in the status: "Idle - src =
> > libcanon_pdlwrapper.c, line = 514, err = 0nError Response:ReqNo=2,
> > SeqNo=3,opvpErrorNo=-2".  If I uninstall the libc6-i386 package, the
> > Canon drivers dont't throw an error, but the official Brother drivers
> > quit working. The Brother doesn't indicate any error, but it simply
> > prints nothing.
> >
> > This was very repeatable on the 3 different systems( 2 systems were
> > fresh installs) I've tried.  Its like an On/Off switch, install
> > libc6-i386 and only one brand works, un-install and the only the other
> > brand works
>
> Printer models, please.

Allen - you responded in another thread. I have moved your response to
here, the thread you started.

> The Canon issue first appeared with a Canon MF414, though the status error
> message appears when using any of the UFRII drivers. I've been mainly testing
> on a Brother MFC 9560, though at least one other official Brother driver has
> same issue.  I'm using very latest UFRII package.

The MF414 is an AirPrint printer and has PDF as a language emulation.
That means it will do driverless printing on unstable, testing and
stretch, disposing of any need for a Canon UFRII printer driver.

For stretch:

1. Get the device on the network with a wireless connection.

2. Check that AirPrint is enabled (it probably is) by connecting to
   the IP address of the device with a web browser (see the manual).

3. Check that the Bonjour broadcasts from the device are detected with
   avahi-daemon by looking at the output of 'avahi-browse -art'.

4. In /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf have CreateIPPPrinterQueues Yes and
   restart cups-browsed.

5. 'lpstat -a' and print dialogs of applications should list the printer.

See the wiki for further details.

Wih the MFC 9560 you are stuck with what Brother provides.

I would be interested in how you go on printing driverless.

--
Brian.