Re: what can be done about sourceforge.net?

You'd have to take it up with sourceforge. Basically this is nothing new for them. There have also been several instances over the last few years where malicious code was injected into Sourceforge downloads, so i'd double check the file downloaded if the hash values aren't matching. For a few years now i've avoided downloading from Sourceforge when possible due to these events. I think the last time i heard of it was mid 2016, i don't remember if anything's happened more recently.