Re: A tutorial for MySql installation

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 10:01 AM Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> I went to the MariaDB homepage and followed links to
> [https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/installing-mariadb-deb-files/].

You should instead be installing it from the usual debian-hosted
repositories, unless you have a known need for a specific release. The
usual repos normally have multiple releases of MariaDB/MySQL on them.

> It tries to be too many things for too many people

MariaDB/MySQL are today DBMS's of commercial depth and quality. That
wasn't always the case. One whole lot of Earth's commerce is riding on
them today. They are inherently complex and learning them takes time
and some background perhaps. Maybe Apache CouchDB would be better for
your purposes unless you expect scads of data.