Re: update hell

On Thu, 2018-08-02 at 13:32 +1200, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> On 02/08/18 13:05, Default User wrote:
> > So, if apt-get is for non-trivial upgrades, then why not for daily
> > use?

In my experience, major upgrades using aptitude sometimes get seriously
bogged down resolving dependencies, whereas apt-get and apt generally
run smoothly.

I also have found it generally works better to do apt-get upgrade
followed by apt-get dist-upgrade rather than trying to do it all in one
step, and that with rare exceptions, it all comes out right in the end,
although there occasionally are oopses that require a bit of additional
effort. If there are difference between apt-get and apt other than some
of the command names, I have not noticed them, and now generally use
apt.

Tom Dial