Kernel compilation problem

I'm running Stretch, with kernel 4.9.0.7, and am trying to compile a new kernel (preferably 4.17.11) into which I can boot.

The kernel builds successfully, but whenever I try booting into the new kernel, I end up in emergency mode, with the error

    Unit dev-disk-by\x2duuid-<uuid>.device has failed.

    The result is timeout.

This device is anmd device, with two mirrors (each 2.7T in size). The submirrors are present when I boot into 4.9.0.7 (installed when the system was built).

However, they do not appear to be visible under any kernel which I build and try to boot into.

I've tried setting LBDAF in the kernel configuration, but that requires that a 32bit kernel be built (and x64 deselected), and I'm running on an AMD 8350 chip, which is x86_64.

Kernel 4.9.0.7 does not have LBDAF set (and x64 is set), yet it's able to see my 2.7T drives, and my raid device mounts with no problem.

Would someone point me in the correct direction for configuring a new kernel, so that my 2T+ drives are visible?

Thanks

Taren