Re: Buster and apt wanting to remove tons of packages...

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:18:48 -0500
Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeovanis@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 3:01 PM Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > There should not be that many changes, but I generally would only
> > upgrade to a newer release when the current system is up-to-date
> > with regards to its current version.
>
> I'm trying to understand your recommendation. It seems you advise to
> bring the system to the most
> recent update in the current release, FOLLOWED BY the upgrade to the
> new release. Richtig? Correct?

For a version upgrade, yes, this is Standard Operational Practice. The
main reasoning is that the upgrade has been tested in that way i.e.
from the final version of everything in the old distribution, and has
not been tested from earlier software versions.

Also, most of the upgrade instructions involve tidying up the old
system, unholding anything held, ideally removing anything which isn't
part of the old distribution, etc. Upgrading everything to the latest
version fits into this tidying theme.

Finally, if upgrading the old system revealed a bug and broke
something, it will be easier to fix within a familiar system, and a
good idea to do so before the version upgrade.

So, no, you don't have to, but yes, it is recommended.

--
Joe