Re: How to"apt update" from an USB key ?

On Wed 11 Jul 2018 at 13:14:22 +0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2018-07-11, Pierre Couderc <pierre@couderc.eu> wrote:
> > On an ultraslim (ACER swift 3) I have no CDROM no Ethernet, only an USB key.
> > I have installed stretch (without GUI) from the USB key, and now I want
> > to install connman, but I do not success to apt-cdrom on an USB.
> > I have googled but did not find a correct howto to do that...
>
> Not clear what's on the stick; I assume it's DVD1 (or CD1). (I mean if
> you're trying to use apt-cdrom with the stick and the machine has no
> internet connection and you installed from the stick this is my
> assumption.  Others seem to have assumed other things. As I have a very
> low assumption batting average lately I hesitate slightly to join the
> fray.)

But you feel kindly disposed after Tuesday night's result. :)

> (copied from a post by UK Brian--I think there's only one over there)
>
>  First adjust sources.list to only have
>
>    deb [ trusted=yes ] file:/media/DVD-1/ stretch main
>
> ("trusted" avoids warnings about unauthenticated packages--you trust
> the iso on the stick, we assume.)
>
>  Make the DVD-1 directory:
>
>    mkdir /media/DVD-1/
>
>  and insert the USB stick. Obtain the device name from dmesg or lsblk.
>  Then (for example)
>
>    mount /dev/sdg1 /media/DVD-1/
>
> apt update; apt install connman

Thank you, Curt - but you could have corrected my split infinitive. :)

> It occurs to me I have no idea whether connman is on CD1 (or DVD1, or
> whatever's on the stick). But if you've asked the right question this
> may be the correct answer. Bonne chance.

For what is on each DVD:

 https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/list-dvd/

I think connman is on DVD-1 for stretch.

--
Brian.