Re: debian/testing repo question

On 7/10/18, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> (I'm really surprised to see someone with an @debian.org address
> advising people to run unstable for any other reason than helping with
> developing Debian. Cherry-picking a single package from unstable for
> new-version reasons may be one thing, but tracking unstable on a
> production system is dangerous and inadvisable, and I've gotten multiple
> machines into unsupportable configurations that way. I've also seen it
> stated repeatedly on debian-devel that people not interested in helping
> develop / improve Debian should not run sid.)

+1,000. I played with Sid because it was a cool, nerdy thing to be
able do *so easily*. A few months in, it became very clear just how
UNSTABLE Sid is. It's called that for a reason.

Sid is *NOT* for usage situations where #Life itself... or on a lesser
scale perhaps one's financial status... may possibly be relying on a
computer being available every second Humanly possible.

Stable Stretch right now could be used to change the Lives of poverty
level people by spending time teaching them how to access it via the
very minimalist debootstrap install way. It's a game changer that I
personally haven't been able to duplicate elsewhere so far. *cough*
Hint: I've looked.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey