More on locale

A short time ago I sought your advice about messages  I am getting
about locales  I thought I did what was suggested but I still see

  CC       libclamav_internal_utils_nothreads_la-strlcat.lo
../libtool: line 1748: warning: setlocale: LC_CTYPE: cannot change
locale (en_US.UTF-8)
when compiling, and

(firefox-esr:11622): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.

from firefox.  There are other similar.   I have not got this problem
on any other machine.  How can I fix it, and ensure it does not happen
again?

==John ffitch