Re: Debian testing - release number

On Sat, Jul 07, 2018 at 07:55:26AM +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2018-07-07, davidson <davidson@freevolt.org> wrote:
> > Speculation: I suspect that the listserv software escapes "From" after
> > a newline, and that its chosen escape is synonymous with the embedded
> > quote character.[1]

> The culprit is therefore Wooledge himself.

The culprit is "mbox". <http://jdebp.eu./FGA/mail-mbox-formats.html>

Because the 5-byte string "From " at the start of a line delimits new
messages in "mbox" formats, many mail systems will alter the body of a
message, placing ">" in front of leading "From " strings.  This happens
quite frequently.

As JDEBP writes on the web page cited above:

  The "mboxo" mailbox format uses irreversible "From quoting" that
  corrupts messages. Before a message is appended to a "mboxo" mailbox
  file, it is transformed. Any line of the message, in either the
  header or the body, that begins with the five characters 'F', 'r',
  'o', 'm', and ' ' has a single '>' character prepended to it. This
  transformation is irreversible because it is impossible to distinguish,
  when reading a message, a line that began '>From ' in the original
  message from a line that began 'From ' in the original message and
  that was subsequently transformed.