Re: Separate /home directories etc?

On Sat, Jul 07, 2018 at 08:35:51PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Sat 07 Jul 2018 at 08:04:16 (-0400), cyaiplexys wrote:
> > I used to have a separate /home directory back in the day. But I
> > realized that anytime I wanted to reinstall or redo my system
> > (upgrade major version seems to work better on a fresh install on my
> > systems), I would have problems with some apps due to old and
> > outdated configurations in my /home directory. So every time I went
> > to do a (re)install, I ended up wiping the /home directory anyway
> > (after backing up my data which I never had much of).
>
> I can't see any of my files under /home that are affected by the
> Debian version except dotfiles and directories (and some of the
> dotty stuff is only cache files anyway). So I can't see a reason to
> wipe /home entirely.

Based on my time in IRC, the people who use Desktop Environments
sometimes run into this incomatibility between old version dot files
and new version software.

Meanwhile, users of traditional command-line and terminal programs, like
me, have been running with basically the same dot files for two decades.

It seems the DE developers don't place a high priority on backward
compatibility, or in-place upgrades, or making things Just Work.