Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

I use and recommend the Brother MFC-L2740DW wireless multifunction device (greyscale duplex laser and colour scanner). It works well for both Linux and Mac clients. You might not be able to get this exact model any more as it is over three years old. I suspect that the current equivalent is the MFC-L2770DW, not the MFC-L2713DW, which lacks PCL6 emulation.

On Debian I am using:

cups 2.2.8-4
foomatic-db-compressed-ppds 20180604-1

Settings:

Driver: Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/pxlcolor (recommended) (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection:	http://192.168.1.11/ipp
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm sides=two-sided-long-edge

Note that these settings use PCL6 emulation. Models that lack PCL6 support may need proprietary Brother CUPS drivers. When I checked, these were only available for i386. When I switched to the foomatic PCL6 driver, I was able to ditch the i386 drivers and my entire i386 arch support. This was a few years ago and the situation may be better.

For XSane scanning I use the the proprietary brscan4 0.4.4-2 amd64 package from Brother, set up with (as root):

brsaneconfig4 -a name=Brother_MFC-L2740DW model=MFC-L2740DW ip=192.168.1.11

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director