Re: A "Where am I" routine

On 07/06/2018 07:15 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 06:25:43AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
I multi-boot several configurations &/or releases of Debian.
I will run identical test scripts on each.
I want to store the results in a common logging file.

I can set up an appropriate environment with a custom fstab containing:

  # create a common area
  LABEL=owlcommon /home/richard/Documents/tst_common vfat user,rw,umask=000 0 0
  # a dummy mount labeled to show which instance
  LABEL=dummy /home/richard/Documents/where/sda14 ext4 user,ro 0 0

The first statement gives me a directory usable by all.
The second tells me where I am by using:
    ls /home/richard/Documents/where
in any test script.

OK, a directory existing/ named per your location. Sounds reasonable.
My default would normally be to create a config file "per host/ per
test env" containing one or more env vars (which specify what I need
to know about that host/ test-env, which I would "source" in bash
scripts which do things depending on the test environment.

I think I follow your logic. But I could not implement it. What man pages should I read? What term(s) should I use in a WEB search to get an overview?

As I've only one machine, I'm never conscious of it having a host name.
When I do a new install the same string is generally used for both the host name and the partition label - generally a reminder of current purpose.

E.G.
hostname returns "debian-jan13" -- when installed was key information
Partition label is "new-net-inst" -- I didn't install from DVD.
The partition is /dev/sda14 .
Desired information dependent on topic-du-jour.

But a shared/ mounted directory sounds fine too - that's also a place
where you can store logs etc.

Happy testing,