Re: Debian testing - release number

On 2018-07-06, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> Hmm, I struggle to see the connection between what I asked for and
> what you wrote. From your later post, I guess the answer is that
> editing /etc/debian_version risks provoking expletives from other
> users of the system.
>
> That said, I do agree with what you wrote.

So wait, now, after saying this

 What seems to be lost on people who feel a pressing need for
 /etc/debian_version to contain a number to satisfy some script that
 they have written (which seems to be the usual reason) is that
 /etc/debian_version is a configuration file. Look in the
 .deb file and there it is, along with /etc/issue{,.net} which
 determine how you are greeted {locally,remotely}. So admins are
 free to set them all how they like.

we discover that what you actually believe is, although admins are free to do
so (like you're free to blindfold yourself and jog in the middle of the freeway
at rush hour in L.A with a broom sticking out of your wazoo), you'd have to be
insane to actually edit /etc/debian_version, which is *not*, in fact, a
configuration file (because that's what Wooledge said that you're agreeing
with here)?

So, Joey Hess is a crazy idiot, for instance?

 Local changes made to /etc/debian_version (in this case changing it from
 "testing/unstable" to "unstable" since that is what this system is really
 using) are wiped out when the package is upgraded or reinstalled: