Re: Laptop recommendation

On 07/05/2018 06:43 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 09:11:14AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
On Sun, Sep 03, 2017 at 12:39:18PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
On Sun, Sep 03, 2017 at 03:38:17PM +0200, Jonas Hedman wrote:
Hello I hope that is not OT for this list.

Basically I'm on the hunt for a newish laptop on which I naturally want
to run Debian. I'm a student and I spend most of my daily outandabout
computer time reading pdfs, writing LaTeX docs, surfing and doing some
light coding, no heavy duty stuff in other words. I use i3vm and I
generally like to keep things as light and minimal as feasibly possible.

I really value light weight and good battery life and my upper bound on prize
is somewhere around 875$ (~7K SEK). Memory should be greater than or
equal to 2GB and an sdd would be nice.

I would make sure that the machine can use a usb pointer--a mouse or trackball. I have found it a real pain to use a scratch pad. There are some very small portable mice. I'm not sure about trackballs. (But a trackball does not need a smooth flat surface.) I also find it difficult to use the track-stick, or whatever they call it that IBM invented, that sits in the middle of the keyboard. I think HP specializes in that, and I have a Dell that has one.
Just my 2¢. --doug