Claws-mail "Get mail" opens full-page

I've been using claws-mail since well before it was claws-mail (back in
the sylpheed days).

When I checked for new mail or opened dialogs they opened in
the reduced size I specified, and this size was preserved when I exited
the program.

I upgraded to stretch a couple of months ago, and to buster just last
night. Since the stretch upgrade claws-mail dialogs opened in
maximum size.v

If I catch "Get mail" before it's finished, I can reduce the dialog to
a business-card-sized window, and that works for the current session,
but if I exit the program the dialogs return to full size whenever I
re-start.

How can I specify and save a reduced size for the get-mail dialog?