Re: Debian testing - release number

On 2018-07-02 02:31, David Wright wrote:
What seems to be lost on people who feel a pressing need for
/etc/debian_version to contain a number to satisfy some script that
they have written (which seems to be the usual reason) is that
/etc/debian_version is a configuration file.

I don't know of and wouldn't expect the value to be
of any use to the system configuration tools, only to humans.

Sorry, but I thought a "configuration file" was supposed to influence the behaviour of _software_ in some way. Are files which only provide info for humans also considered configuration files? If a sysadmin edited the contents of /etc/debian_version what other human would be expected to benefit?

--
John