Re: Webmail?

On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 08:02:33PM +0200, Ulf Volmer wrote:
On 02.07.2018 14:22, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sun, Jul 01, 2018 at 05:29:02PM +0200, Ulf Volmer wrote:

there is no php5 in debian stretch.

She probably upgraded from jessie, in which case the php5 that she had
in jessie remained in place after the upgrade to stretch.

Yes, agree. And as we discussed in another thread in this list, purging
obsolete packages after a dist upgrade will also make sure that nobody
use unsupported packages like php5.

Shouldn't packages like that be removed by apt's "no longer depended on" logic?

For a long time, I've been using apt (and aptitude) with the mantra of "keep as much marked-as-auto as possible". Although I don't write php myself, I use packages (such as roundcube) which use php. Therefore I have roundcube marked as manually installed and any runtimes/libraries/data packages that it depends on marked as automatically installed. In that way, if roundcube upgrades from php5 to php7, and nothing else depends on php5, then apt simply removes it. Manually install the things YOU want, let apt automatically handle the rest.

Even on the machines where I've followed sid, this has generally worked out well.

--
For more information, please reread.