Re: Is apt-get dist-upgrade worth the hassle?

On 02/07/18 12:55 AM, Curt wrote:

On 2018-07-01, Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs@surfnaked.ca> wrote:

E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/.

apt-get autoclean doesn't help; neither does apt-get clean.  When I
tried apt-get autoremove, the upgrade started, but at 99% completion it
threw the message:

Error writing to output file - write (28: No space left on device)

Sure enough, / is full, with all the fun that that entails.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#sufficient-space

Thank you (and everyone else) for your help. I tried an apt-get purge of a large package I wasn't using, but the upgrade still failed (after chugging away for an hour or so). I have two Linux partitions on my laptop - / and /home - and have arrived at the conclusion that 10GB for everything but /home is just not enough. Given the amount of time I've spent on this already, I'm way past the point of diminishing returns. For now I'll stick to my main machine for everything (my laptop is just for when I'm on the road plus I use it for Usenet). When I find the time I'll figure out what in my laptop's root partition needs saving (e.g. /var/spool/slrnpull), back it up along with /home, download the Stretch install disk image, then delete the partitions and start over with a bigger root partition (say 20GB). Hopefully that'll hold me for a few releases.

--
cgibbs@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs)