Re: Is apt-get dist-upgrade worth the hassle?

On 2018-07-02, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jul 2018 17:43:02 -0500
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Why? If you find the cause, you can fix it. Upgrades are careful
>> about preserving the system's integrity to run.
>>

> Less and less with each version.
>
> I have a wheezy: I cloned it to a spare desktop machine, upgraded with
> some significant difficulty to jessie, tried the next step to stretch
> and abandoned it. I believe there will be less work in a new install,
> which I'm now probably about a week into, with another week to go.
>
> Back in the days of etch, it was an hour or two. Not any more.

I upgraded from Wheezy to Jessie to Stretch without a problem (except I
ran out of space, which conveniently circles back on a certain raison
d'être of this thread, and apt-get cleaned right in the middle of it all
to free up room, which got me through while at the same time nearly
condemning me to a special circle of dependency hell).

Of course I'm talking here about upgrading *in situ*, a proven path, not
cloning to another machine, whose specificities are unknown to us
in relation to the cloned machine, and then upgrading from there, for
reasons only known to yourself. In fact, Joe, I'm declaring an illegal
goalpost move on you and fining you a blame (remember: three blames and
you're out--or is that strikes?).

;-)

--
“...Two people going to the bottom of a river, one falling and the other
diving.” Jung describing the relationship between Joyce and his schizophrenic