Re: Is apt-get dist-upgrade worth the hassle?

On Sun, 1 Jul 2018 17:43:02 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> Why? If you find the cause, you can fix it. Upgrades are careful
> about preserving the system's integrity to run.

Less and less with each version.

I have a wheezy: I cloned it to a spare desktop machine, upgraded with
some significant difficulty to jessie, tried the next step to stretch
and abandoned it. I believe there will be less work in a new install,
which I'm now probably about a week into, with another week to go.

Back in the days of etch, it was an hour or two. Not any more.

--
Joe