Re: LibreOffice Templates are gone

Am Sonntag, 1. Juli 2018, 15:00:23 CEST schrieb Michelle Konzack:
Huh, this sounds bad! Itr looks like your personal templates are just deleted
during an update.

To recover files from an ext2/3/4 filesystem is not easy! You can try to use
the tool "!recover", but I doubt you will be lucky with it. I have some
experience with datarecovery, but with "recover" I was not very lucky in the
past.

It is very important, that the deleted files (and their free sectors) are not
overwritten.  So I suggest, to create first an image of the partition, your
home-directory resides on. You can use the tool "dd" or "ddrescue" for it. My
favourite tool for this task is calles "guymager" which is a graphical tool.

For these tasks I am using livefile dvd's, which are created for rescueing
data and have all the tools I need. Here my favourites are KALI-Linux, DEFT
and Trinity-Rescue-Kit, which are all free and linux based.

When you have created an image of the partitiion, you can work in this image,
make a work-copy of it and so on. Just keep one imagefile untouched available!

For rescueing data using that image there are several tools available. My
favoorites are "scalpel" and "extundelete"

You might also be interested in "RLINUX" (seasch for it with google), which is
an easy to use livefile rescue system especially for data recovery. It is
freely downloadable.

Please note: All actions you do should be done very carefully and as early as
possible! The most important thing is creating the image. This has to be done
first! Doing so, you can alkways revert your partiotion to its actual state.
Must I tell you, that this should be done regularly depending how important
your datas are? Harddrives WILL die, and you never know, WHEN.

Sorry, if this all looks too hard for you, but maybe a little learninng on
these tools and forensics at all is less work, than recreating all your
templates, And you have knowledge, when the next accident appears.

Hope this helps a little bit, feel free to askl more.

Good luck!

Hans