Want GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=<custom> at installation time

I'm doing a bunch of installation tests, and don't want the repeats overwriting
the existing entries on the EFI/ESP partition.

Search terms

site:debian.org uefi installation custom grub_distributor= -ubuntu preseed

and similar on Google produced nothing helpful. I tried including
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=debian124 on the cmdline, which I found on vtty2 in set output,
but it didn't have any effect. /boot/efi/EFI/ received a fresh write of debian
(4 hours in the future also :-( ).

Anyone know if it's even possible, preferably via the installation kernel cmdline?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/