Re: Audio - Dummy Output, except for root

On 26 June 2018 at 16:00, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 8:39 AM, Borden Rhodes <jrvp@bordenrhodes.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> > In my case. "timidity" was causing my problem. Within X, I did a "sudo
>> > kill

>> Yessir. The timidity update on 19 June messed up my sound, too. After
>> a frustrating few hours of troubleshooting I discovered that timidity
>> is hogging the sound server.
>>
>> Which brings us to the obvious question of how do you get Pulse to
>> play nicely with Timidity?
>>

> This morning I removed "timidity" from the "audio" group, and rebooted. All
> seems well for me, but then, I don't use Timidity (to my knowledge - don't
> really know what it is). I do notice that a "ps ax | grep timidity" does not
> return anything.

I had the same experience.  What solved it for me was to edit
/etc/default/timidity so that timidity does not run as daemon.

That freed my audio-devices.

Regards
Johann
--
Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)