Re: Problems with https://manpages.debian.org/ (PS)

On 2018-06-26 16:30, John Crawley wrote:
On 2018-06-24 09:49, Fred wrote:
On 2018-06-24 03:18, Richard Owlett wrote:
For the past couple of weeks I've had problems connecting to https://manpages.debian.org/ .

Usually these days (last couple of months?) when I click a link in Firefox pointing to an online Debian manpage it takes a very long time to load, and sometimes drops out. OTOH if I paste the address directly in the address bar it opens immediately.
I am using firefox-esr (52.7.3) on Jessie and the above link opens immediately.
Using firefox-esr in Stretch (52.8.1 btw, also in Jessie now) and just clicked the above link ( https://manpages.debian.org/ ) in Thunderbird to get the same spinning "Transferring data from manpages.debian.org" and the tab still hasn't loaded after several minutes.

I also right-clicked the link, "copy link location" and pasted  it into another tab's address bar. It appeared as exactly the same URL in the address bar, but loaded immediately. Likewise if I select the text, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V in Firefox. Immediate.

I've only noticed this with the Debian manpages site though. URLs in mail messages are usually opened instantly in a new non-focussed tab. Maybe some addon some of us are using is getting in the way of Mozilla's handling of link requests?

(That first tab still hasn't loaded why I've been slowly typing this.)
Restart Firefox with addons disabled and the problem goes away, so that's where to start searching I guess. Back to the todo list...

--
John