Re: Beowulf gone?

On 24-06-2018, at 21h 17'25", Hans wrote about "Beowulf gone?"
> Hi folks,
>
> I am interested in clustering a server for educacation purposes,  Asd far as I
> remembewr, there had bbeen some debian packages called "beowulf" or so,
>
> However, I may be wrong and saw them in SuSE-linux not in debian.
>
> Today I found no beowqulf packages any more. Question: If Í want to create a
> cluster,  are the "mpich"-packes today the correct choice? (Is mpich the
> successor to beowulf?)
>
> Please apologize, I still did not read much of the beowulf documentations, my
> question is more aimed, if mpich is the preferred thing to take a look at or
> not.
>
> Thanks for any hints.
>
> Best
>
> Hans

Hans,

mpich is an implementation of MPI (message passing interface), that is
a way of parallelization of a code to run on more than one core, either
on the same host or over few hosts.

beowulf is a way to configure and maintain a PC-cluster.

I hope it is clear now.

Kind regards,
 Ionel