Re: timeout before file dialogs show up

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018, Lucio wrote:

> This thing bugs me since a few months. I use XFCE on Debian sid. Whenever I
> click a menu item that opens a file dialog, be it open or save, the
> application freezes for exactly 25 seconds, then the file dialog shows up.
>
> It happens with almost any GUI application, from LibreOffice to Thunderbird
> and Google Chrome.
>
> If I run the program in a terminal it's the same, but at least I get an error
> in the terminal just after the 25 seconds expire:
>
> Error creating proxy: error calling startservicebyname for
> org.gtk.vfs.GoaVolumeMonitor: timeout was reached (g-io-error-quark, 24)
>
> The timeout happens only on the first file dialog opening for each program
> session, subsequent ones show up instantly. If I close the program and open it
> again, the problem shows up again on the first file dialog usage.
>
> Googling for the error yields no exact results (only slightly different
> errors). The closer I get is
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-volumed/+bug/1347272
>
> but, aside it being in Ubuntu and not Debian, it seems fixed in XFCE 4.11, and
> I'm running XFCE 4.12.
>
> Any clue?

I had the same thing happen to me on kde, but only for vlc prog.  The
first time I opened a file it took 25 sec for the dialog to pop up.  It
drove me crazy.

I eventually solved it, but I can't remember how, sorry.  The steps I took
were something like this:

try another user account
try removing certain conf files in ~/.config
try removing write access to them after they are recreated
tweaking files named QT* in ~/.config/
tweaking files in ~/.config/gtk-*/
removing all Trolltech.conf and restart desktop
getting rid of anything that saves recent files
purging all the samba/file sharing stuff I could find

Hope you find it, good luck.