Re: new install of amd64, 9-4 from iso #1

On 06/14/18 01:52, Gene Heskett wrote:
I'm seeing, at newegg et all, what is said to be a 3d nand that seems to
be the higher capacity drive, 240 GB etc, for prices in the $90 range.
But you are mentioning PCIe. Is SATA about to be replaced, and I'll have
to locate yet another motherboard to keep up with the Jones's?

I expect motherboards and drives with SATA interfaces will be around for many more years -- the interface is ubiquitous and fast/ cheap enough.

I would consider the PCIe stuff for newer machines and/or machines running services or applications that need the performance.

On the hot swap cage front, the center pocket, even with a new cable, a
cast iron bitch to install, is still not at all happy with the 2T drive
I've installed 9.4 on, spamming my logs with resets. Move the drive to
the last sata socket, hanging out of the side of the case, and its happy
as a clam. Cheap cables, $6.50 for ten of them, but they claim 6GB/sec,
so I'll try yet another cable today when I have both eyes open at the
same time.

Bad SATA cables and/or connectors are a common problem. I now mark every SATA cable with a serial number and track them, to help with trouble-shooting.

Using drive trays/ bays adds another level of hardware that can cause problems. The only advice I can offer is to take meticulous notes and have spare parts for A-B testing.

I've also been battling a sudden loss of sound, took my speakers apart
and replaced 6 open electrolytic caps in the amp, (I am a C.E.T. and
have all the test gear and tools for that), didn't help, went out to
wally's and bought a twin of it, then found the green led for the front
channel was dark in kmix. But this set has lots more distortion, so now
that I know the machine is outputting sound I'll retry the repaired kit
again.

For sound on Linux, I use Intel desktop boards, Debian stable, and cross my fingers. It usually just works. Whenever I try to add audio stuff, sound usually breaks to some lesser or greater extent.

David