Re: [Debian-User] Re: Display image after resume

On Mon, 2018-06-04 at 11:07 +1200, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> On 04/06/18 10:03, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > What produces the desktop image that is displayed immediately after
> > resuming from hibernation?
> > When resuming, I see the following in order:
> >        1. the boot screen
> >        2. a blank screen
> >        3. the actual desktop (live or a snapshot of it)
> >        4. the lockscreen password prompt
> > What I would like to do is prevent the actual desktop, or the
> > screenshot of it, from appearing after the system boots from
> > hibernation.
> > -Jim P.
>
> - What is your desktop?

Stretch Cinnamon

> - Are you using systemd?

Yes, but that is not an admission of preferring systemd. ;-)

> - How do you initiate hibernation? Via the desktop or via a keyboard
> or chassis button?

By closing the lid, it's a laptop (asus zenbook)

> - Which screen locker do you use? (e.g. light-locker or
> xscreensaver?)

cinnamon-screensaver

> This looks like a race condition in which system is hibernated
> before your screen is locked. I saw this for suspend when I let
> systemd manage my power button. My solution was to
> edit/etc/systemd/logind.conf to set HandlePowerKey=ignore and to let
> Xfce handle locking and suspend and Xfce Power Manager / Security /
> "Lock screen when system is going for sleep"). I use xscreensaver.

I think you're on to something.  When I CTRL+ATL+L the system, and then
close the lid, the post-hibernation resume works correctly (no screen
leakage).  Unfortunately changing the systemd login settings didn't
seem to have any effect.  I'm comfortable not using systemd on servers,
is it just as straight forward without it on desktops/laptops?

tia,

- -Jim P.