Re: UEFI/"BIOS" booting

On Mon 14 May 2018 at 23:39:06 (+0200), Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 14/05/2018 à 16:33, David Wright a écrit :
> >
> >     "Don’t do UEFI-native installs to MBR-formatted disks, or BIOS
> >     compatibility installs to GPT-formatted disks (an exception to the
> >     latter is if your disk is, IIRC, 2.2+TB in size, because the MBR
> >     format can’t handle disks that big – if you want to do a BIOS
> >     compatibility install to a disk that big, you’re kinda stuck with
> >     the BIOS+GPT combination, which works but is a bit wonky and
> >     involves the infamous ‘BIOS Boot partition’ you may recall from
> >     Fedora 17).
> >
> >I haven't been able to find anything infamous about the BIOS Boot
> >partition but it sounds as if the author had a bad experience at
> >sometime in the past which has affected their ability to view the
> >topic objectively.
>
> AFAICS the BIOS boot partition is a rather widely unknown topic.

I'm happy to publicise it a little, then, and without using terms
like infamous and wonky.

> Actually a BIOS boot partition is not required for BIOS boot on GPT.
> It is only recommended or required in order to install GRUB in some
> situations. But GRUB is not the only available bootloader.

No.

It's difficult to divine which bootloaders the author is familiar with.
My own experience of the last twenty years is limited to Lilo and Grub.
I remember reading about coreboot some years ago, but I doubt I'm ever
going to meet it. Are you suggesting others?

Cheers,
David.