Re: minimal installation

On Mon 07 May 2018 at 19:53:51 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> Brian composed on 2018-05-07 23:22 (UTC+0100):
>
> > On Mon 07 May 2018 at 18:04:47 -0400, Dan Norton wrote:
>
> >> On Mon, 7 May 2018 10:42:17 -0400 Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >>   linux   /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 --- tasks=standard
> >>   base-installer/install-recommends=false
>
> >> Is that going to result in a minimum installation?
>
> > Leave off tasks=standard for more minimalness.
>
> NAICT without starting an installation now, including it causes at least one
> installer question to be bypassed. I don't remember seeing asked whether or
> which bootloader to install or where to install it in a long time, if ever, but
> my memory today is noticeably short of 100%.

I guess you are talking about d-i's "Install" menu entry. With "tasks="
no tasks are installed and the bootloader questions are still asked. I
am not relying on memory.

> > (base-installer/install-recommends=false doesn't do anything. The base
> > system is always installed without Recommends:).
>
> Doing that,
>
> 	APT::Install-Recommends "false";
>
> showed up in
>
> 	/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00InstallRecommends
>
> two minutes before
>
> 	/etc/apt/sources.list
>
> on my last Stretch installation, and likely all the rest at least in recent years.

My point was that the base system packages doe not act on Recommends:.
If there are no tasks, the preseed option install-recommends=false has
nothing to do during the installation. What happens on the installed
system is a different matter.

--
Brian.