Re: Packagekit spamming syslog

On 02/05/18 17:19, Curt wrote:
> On 2018-05-02, Tony van der Hoff <lists@vanderhoff.org> wrote:
>> Running fully up to date stretch, I'm seeing the following in my syslog
>> every 5 minutes:
>>
>> May  2 15:55:25 tony-lx PackageKit: refresh-cache transaction
>> /144833_aadbeecc from uid 1000 finished with success after 2225ms
>> May  2 15:55:27 tony-lx PackageKit: get-updates transaction
>> /144834_dacaaceb from uid 1000 finished with success after 1502ms
>> May  2 15:55:27 tony-lx PackageKit: get-updates transaction
>> /144835_cdcacaca from uid 1000 finished with success after 452ms
>> May  2 15:55:28 tony-lx PackageKit: get-updates transaction
>> /144837_aabccdcd from uid 1000 finished with success after 496ms
>> May  2 15:55:29 tony-lx PackageKit: get-updates transaction
>> /144838_bddedcad from uid 1000 finished with success after 451ms
>>
>> Can someone please explain why PackageKit needs to update so often, and
>> maybe how to tame it.
> There's a bug report looks relevant:

> Jason Rodrigues in that thread suspects the KDE update notifier (he
> removed 'apper', finding no other palliative measure).
>
> Of course if you're not running KDE (or apper) it must be--implacable
> logic--something else.
Thanks for your reply, Curt.I saw that bug report, and uninstalled
Apper, but no difference, so I re-installed it. I am indeed running KDE,
but see no option to control this behaviour.

I have to add that I initially became aware of this because my syslog
had grown to 26GiB, and I unfairly blamed it on these messages. I then
reconfigured logrotate, and the syslog is now kept to a more reasonable
size, so the problem is no longer significant..

Thanks again for your interest.
 Tony