Update under Gnome - I almost passed out!!!

Hi all,

I just posted question regarding LXDE panel, but....

i was just trying to see if it would make differences if I switched to
GNOME desktop and go back to LXDE hoping it might read config file or
whatever correctly but...

I just was looking around under GNOME for while then the pop-up at the
top of the desktop sayinf "important Update...." so I clicked and it
says there are 4 important updates for VLC, OS, Audacious and forgot the
other one. SO without thinking I clicked to update. Then it said the
system will reboot automatically and run update. The PC rebooted as it
said, then displayed progressive update process...took while.

When the PC started with GDM3 display manager (I had configured with
lightDM though), it only showed my account name. I had three other
account set up. and it used to show all the other users.
Anyway, I logged in with my account then GNOME started. Funny thing is,
there are no Thunderbird, no other apps I had added. Seemed like it only
had standard apps such as Firefox and others.

i also checked users account to see if other users are there or not, but
no one else was there. i also checked home directory to see if there are
other's home directories. Only mine was there.

At this point I was panicked thinking other settings were deleted.

I rebooted the PC again, now from here my memory is bit hazy as I was
panicking pretty bad but it hanged at start up sequence so I did
ctl+alt+del to restart (it did respond) to reboot. This time it rebooted
normally I started recovery mode. I checked if other account home
directories are there or not, and they are there.
I rebooted again, then the lightDM appears with all other users. Started
normally. I was saved but....

What was this behavior? I have never encountered something like this.

Has anyone got same experience as mine?

What was going on? That was pretty bad. I really panicked.

Thanks for reading.

Man Without No Clue