Re: Installing Debian on an android device

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 12:00 AM, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> As for some conspiracy chips with embedded rom .... if you have basic
> engineering knowledge you could easily identify all of it and to my
> knowledge it is not trivial to embed such a chip into a mass product,
> especially a mobile phone.

Have you read Ken Thompson's On Trusting Trust?

If it is true of software, it is true of hardware.

> There were servers in the past, where NSA plugged in special chips before
> those machines were shipped to china, but it did not last long and the
> chineese found out.

Either that was in the days when the NSA didn't really have a lot of skilled
engineers, or they wanted the special chips to be found.

I'd tend to guess at the latter, because I know how easy it would be to
bundle a custom soc with an extra processor and private memory with
any standard bit of circuit, package it in a standard-looking package,
and label it with the name and package numbering of any company
of choice. This has been easy for a long time.

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with my bare cast.
http://defining-computers.blogspot.com/2017/06/reinventing-computers.html

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html