Re: mplayer won't play audio CD

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 09:23:15AM +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2017-06-29, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Please help...  mplayer works fine when playing files (mp3, wav, etc), but
> > fails in playing audio CDs.  When I launch it as a normal user I have:
> >
> > $ mplayer cdda://
> > MPlayer 1.3.0 (Debian), built with gcc-6.3.0 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team
> > do_connect: could not connect to socket
> > connect: No such file or directory
> > Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
>
> How about giving it the full path:
>
>  mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/media/cdrom cdda://1
>  mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/hdb cdda://1
>
> or wherever the device exists on your machine.
>
> Also perhaps verify in a mixer program (alsamixer, e.g.) that cdrom audio output
> isn't muted.
>
> Maybe there's no audio cable between the cd drive and the sound card.
>
> ;-)

Moin together,

having only recently succeded in running a movie DVD and a music CD using
mplayer via smplayer under Debian Jenny on my laptop "hp 6730b", I found
that my pulseaudio sound system needs to be activated BEFORE other
processes using sound are started.

[using 'ps ax', one can study the mplayer params set by smplayer]

In order to be able to refresh my sound system at any time, even after
processes using sound are already active, I'm using a simple alias
(from within a terminal):

alias pulse='sudo kill -9 $(pidof pulseaudio) && alsamixer -c0'

hope this may help a bit

W. Fokken