Re: Relative stability of Testing vs Unstable

Jason Cohen wrote:
> My question is how Debian Testing and Unstable compare in terms of
> stability.  The Debian documentation suggests that Testing is more
> stable than Unstable because packages are delayed by 2-10 days and can
> only be promoted if no RC bugs are opened in that period [1].  Yet,
> other sources indicate that Testing can stay broken for weeks due to
> large transitions or the freeze before a new stable release [2].

  i keep two bootable partitions available and upgrade
them out of step so that i always have at least one
that works well enough i can get my required tasks done.

  i've been running testing with bits from unstable
and/or experimental for quite some time now.  i've
had problems here or there with different pieces but
only rarely been bitten where i did not have things
running at all.  luckily all situations were fixable
without reinstallation.

  i'm very happy with how it has been going.  i think
Debian rocks and i'm very appreciative of everyone who
makes any sort of contribution to the on-going
development and packaging.

  songbird