Re: Replace systemd

On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 03:11:05PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
My thoughts exactly.  I stopped using GNOME or any desktop environment
5+ years ago.  Resource hogs..  A window manager, a single panel and a
couple virtual terminals are more than sufficient.

What's good enough for you is not necessarily good enough for everyone else.
I likewise am very comfortable in a Terminal, however, many aren't. Furthermore, there are nowadays lots of other bits and pieces that are very
useful in a session (a dbus daemon, a GPG and SSH keyrings, a power manager
and/or screensaver, network manager applets, file sync tools, disk mount
managers, etc.); you may not need these, or may be happy to effectively assemble a form of a desktop environment from scratch, but some people are happy to delegate that job to others.

(I am currently shopping for a desktop session manager)

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://jmtd.net