Re: [Stretch] apt-get has no updates?

On 06/30/2017 08:54 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 06/30/2017 06:56 AM, RavenLX wrote:
I think I might have a problem. I do the sudo apt-get update and then
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and ever since I have installed Debian 9
(after the official release) I have not seen any updates. Yet in Ubuntu
14.04 server there were updates to the kernel and to Apache. I've been
watching Debian-Security and noticed there are some updates coming up.
But I haven't seen any when I go to do the update.

How did you get sudo? Users do not have sudo rights by default.

When installing, it asks me for a root password and says that if you do not provide one, then the user you set up (on the next screens) will be granted sudo privileges. This is what I did. Left the Root password blank and filled in the user information on the next screen. I prefer not to give root any password or access on my systems.

Also, if you used the live dvd it's screwing up apt gpg-keys and you
will not see updates until the keys are fixed.  Or maybe you have some
other kind problems.

I didn't use a live DVD during installation. I used the firmware (non-free) version DVD (because my laptops are old and need some of the drivers - one needs a non-free firmware driver just to connect to the internet).

Seems from what I'm reading here, there were no problems and Stretch installed just fine and configured as it was supposed to. I just have to get used to doing things a little differently than I'm used to. I was used to at least 2 or 3 packages updraded per week on some weeks (and some weeks nothing) but that was in the last year of Jessie. Now that Stretch is new, I guess I won't see many upgraded packages (if any) for awhile. I checked and security updates are being installed automatically (as is default). I decided maybe I shouldn't change that "feature" after all. Would save me having to do updates manually for the most important stuff.