Re: Switching from Debian i386 to AMD64

On 07/04/2017 01:20 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
Curt composed on 2017-07-04 17:53 (UTC):

Richard Owlett wrote:

Thank you. I've i686 processors on both machines within reach
[as I suspected] I'll have to spend some time on man page for
inxi to fully appreciate it.

But i686 is 32 bit isn't it?

Some are 32, others are 64. 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' reports which.
"32 bits virtual" IDs 32 bit. "48 bits virtual" IDs 64 bit.

My available laptop reports:
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 37
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GHz
[snip]
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid dtherm ida arat
[snip]
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

My desktop machine reports:
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel

cpu family	: 6

model		: 23

model name	: Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5300  @ 2.60GHz

[snip]
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm xsave lahf_lm dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority

[snip]
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

I note both have the "lm" flag indicating a x86_64 processor.

Now that I know that I'm 64 bit capable. Would I see any benefit in switching? [I don't have any interest in grapic intensive apps. I don't do anything that my old WinXP machine didn't handle OK.]

Thank you all for the input.