Re: Replace systemd

On Tue, 4 Jul 2017 15:56:06 -0700 Jimmy Johnson
<field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/04/2017 03:11 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Tue, 04 Jul 2017 19:51:39 +0200 deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> + one reason no to use Gnome
> >>

> > My thoughts exactly.  I stopped using GNOME or any desktop
> > environment 5+ years ago.  Resource hogs..  A window manager, a
> > single panel and a couple virtual terminals are more than
> > sufficient.

> Funny, that sounds like something a Slack'er would say. Patrick, we
> are not all keyboard wizards like you and that other Patrick who can
> keyboard faster than I can read. That's a compliment on your
> abilities by the way.

I'm far from a wizard on the keyboard or a terminal  I'm just as
lazy as the next guy, but I'm also a minimalist.  And a window manager
and a panel is all the GUI I need.   In reality, it's all anybody
needs.  Desktop environments are just so much eye candy, but they get
installed by default and that's what people are used to.  Doesn't
bother me as long as I get to choose the interface I want.

And FWIW, I used Slackware for a couple years a dozen years ago.  But
I've used a lot of Linux distros over the past 17 years as well as the 4
or 5 major desktop environments.

Why not try a window manager and a panel?  It's not that hard to
master.  And your system will be noticeably snappier.  I suggest
starting with Openbox as the manager and LXPanel.  That's what I
use.  If you've got LXDE installed, both are already installed.  Just
choose Openbox at login.  But RTFM first.