Re: Problems with apt in a clean stretch install.

From: philwyett@kathenas.org

This issue seems to be created by "synaptic".
If you you "apt" in the terminal, you will be fine.

As mindblowing as this topic seems to be I can not help but
comment your response.  It seems you must have not read
90% of the thread missing out on all the output and statements
that both apt and apt-get have produced the error.  The first
who mentions synaptic is you.

But, what really blows my mind is that it took all this time of
stable "testing" to get to this stage of end-of-testing and how
the rc before stable didn't have this problem.
I would manually download the keyrings and all debian gpg
stuff, delete/uninstall whatever I had and reinstall/force new
ones.

And this for the OP:
1  But if there is such a basic problem with installation what is
so different that the rest of the new stretch installers did not
face?

2  What filesystem did you use while partitioning?

3  Is there any kind of raid?

4  Is autoupdate/unattended-update enabled?  And is there a log of it?