Re: Switching from Debian i386 to AMD64

On 07/04/2017 10:33 AM, Dejan Jocic wrote:
On 04-07-17, Richard Owlett wrote:
I have been running Debian i386 since Squeeze. At that time it was required
as I was considering supporting some donated 32 bit machines at church. I
don't recall what processor was in my personal machine at that time. I've
never had cause to investigate the processors in my current laptops and
desktop machines. They all happily run i386.

Is there a utility that will report my hardware configuration/capability?

TIA

Several. To see your cpu, type lscpu. Architecture is first in output.
Or, install inxi, it is probably best all around tool for system
informations.

Thank you. I've i686 processors on both machines within reach ]as I suspected]
I'll have to spend some time on man page for inxi to fully appreciate it.

I'm not aware of anything I routinely use that would give a significantly better experience from going 64 bit - but it's now known to be an available option.