RE: Problems with apt in a clean stretch install.

>How about this solution, it worked in similar case:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/05/msg00467.html

I saw that discussion earlier, but if you follow the thread through you'll
note that the claim of "solution" was a false alarm.

I will give it a try none the less, since I am clutching at straws now.

FYI - I just tested a brand new clean install, this time NOT using a local
mirror during installation and it's the same problems again. I have to
conclude that there's something wrong with the installation, at least for
the combination of options I am choosing. I may have to go back to Jessie
where I never had these kinds of problems.