Re: Laser Printer recommendation...

On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 11:54:34 -0400 Whit Hansell <skipper44@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On 07/03/2017 10:41 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Monday, July 03, 2017 07:41:31 AM Whit Hansell wrote:
> >> Can anyone recommend a monochrome (black toner) laser printer that
> >> is currently available and reasonably priced (<$300).  I am
> >> interested in finding one as i am sick and tired of buying ink
> >> every month even when I'm not printing much.
> > Why are you buying ink every month if you are not printing much--to
> > be more specific, I'm asking if something is happening to your ink
> > (or ink cartridge)-- is it an ink jet printer and the nozzles
> > getting clogged, or maybe a laser printer in a high humidity
> > environment making the toner get too humid to work properly?
> >
> > If either of those are a possiblity, I wouldn't order a new printer
> > until you've considered the cause of the problem...
> >

> Thanks for your reply,  Maybe I should have prefaced that statement
> with a "for me" phrase.  I do print out a number of articles during a
> month but I used to have an hp722 printer and that cartridge held 2-3
> times the ink my last printer held.  AND I was able to refill the 722
> and the last one, an hp psc1510.  But for some reason in the last
> year I have been unable to get a successful refill on the 1510 and so
> am having to keep purchasing cartridges.  It uses a small cartridge
> and I have cut back on my printing considerably and really get honked
> off when it spits out a big  black block of ink in an article I can't
> print from a pre-set printjob setup from the web page source.  And my
> 1510 just died on  me so am in need of a new printer so decided on a
> laser printer as I care not for color.
>
> Thanks for chiming in tho. I do appreciate everyone's help here. You
> all have so much knowledge and we all learn from you.
>
> Thanks again.  Help and advice much appreciated.

I tired of inkjet printers (and having to replace or fill the
cartridges)  and purchased a factory refurbhished Samsung ML-1710
(discontinued model) B&W laser printer for $75 US.  Still going strong
11 years later. Fairly low volume. Less than 1000 sheets per year.  And
Linux drivers from Samsung, too.  But looking to replace it with a
duplex printing model with higher resolution for $300 or less.  I'm
patient. So, I can wait for a sale, but whatever I buy, it will be a
Samsung model for sure.